INTERRELATION BETWEEN CULTURE & HERITAGE
These two terms – culture and heritage – are very similar, but really they have different meanings used in a different context. Heritage is related to meaning passing of the cultural peculiarities from one generation to the next, like a tradition. Culture is the way of life, customs, laws, and habits of a society as their core values. Culture is the values describing society (KTU, 2022: notes).
Culture can be defined as a universe of collective human beliefs specific to a nation or a time period. It is the general social peculiarities and behavior, beliefs, religion, cuisine, music and arts, language, etc. for a certain group of people. Heritage is the ways of living transmitting from generation to generation by a certain society. Thus, Heritage is the inherited things, while culture is the characteristic peculiarities describing society (KTU, 2022).
- Dora Stratou Greek dances lesson & Show in Athens, Retrieved August 27,2022, from https://evendo.com/gr/el/product/dora-stratou-greek-dances-lesson-show-in-athens/248516-661731
- Fairchild, Henry Pratt. (1944), Dictionary of Sociology, New York: Philosophical Library.
- Hula, Hawaiian Dance, Retrieved August 29,2022, from https://balletclassroom.wordpress.com/2015/07/22/hawaiian-dance-a-cultural-dance-of-beauty/
- Ivory Pinks, Bridal Couture, Retrieved August 29,2022, from https://ivorypinks.co.uk/wedding-dresses/
- Jary D. & Jary J. (1991), The HarperCollins Dictionary of Sociology, p. 101.
- Kroeber A. & Kluckhohn C. (1952), Culture: A Critical Review of Concepts and Definitions. Cambridge, MA: Peabody Museum.
- KTU (2022) notes on IO1: State-of-the-art revi8ew of traditional costumes linked to folklore dancing.
- Kluckhohn, C. (1954), "Culture and behavior," in Handbook of Social Psychology. Cambridge, G. Lindzey (ed.). Cambridge, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- New World Encyclopaedia, entry Culture, Retrieved August 29,2022, from https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/culture#cite_note-1
- Nathanail G., “Ellada-Kina: Paradosiako Nyfiko Endyma - Mia prosengisi”. China Greece Times. 5/3/2020, 691 (177), pp. 4-5.
- Sripaoraya, K. (2022), “The Kelantan Mak Yong: Dancing Towards a Compromise Between Culture and Religion”. Harmonia: Journal of Arts Research and Education, 22 (1),pp. 15-27.
- Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy, entry Culture, Retrieved September 1,2022, from https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/culture/
- UNESCO, entry cultural legacy, Retrieved September 1,2022, from https://en.unesco.org/fieldoffice/santiago/cultura/patrimonio
- UNESCO (2002). UNESCO Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity, adopted on November 2001. Paris: UNESCO, Retrieved September 3 ,2022, from https://www.un.org/en/events/culturaldiversityday/pdf/127160m.pdf